Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Knowledge or Arrogance

Many Christians wish they knew a little bit of Greek or Hebrew. When the Scriptures are read in their original languages a deeper meaning comes through. In May I begin my studies of Greek and let me tell you I am excited. I started doing some work to get ready and I bought a book by William Mounce called "Greek for the Rest of Us". In the book Mounce teaches the very basics of Greek so that someone can then use many of the tools available to bring greater depth to their studies. Some of these tools include lexicons, dictionaries, interliner New Testaments, and commentaries. I have just started the book but in the preface he says some very interesting things.

"There are of course, many dangers in relying on tools rather than actually knowing Greek. My fear is that people will think they actually know Greek even though they only know how to use the tools. Alexander Pope once said, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I saw that it is a little bit of arrogance that is dangerous."

I don't think I will ever be a Greek scholar, but I pray that God will keep me humble as I study.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter