Monday, April 03, 2006

Parish Theme- April


The Toll-Road
Our Journey in Jesus

Our Journey in Jesus takes us on many roads of life. Some of the roads of life are under construction and bumpy, others are risky and treacherous - roads with black ice or wintry conditions. One of the greatest joys of life is when we enjoy experience smooth sailing!

But I must confess that I am afraid of toll roads. I know, it sounds silly, but it’s true. My fear is that I will reach the tollbooth and not be able to pay the toll. I remember being on toll roads across the country that did not have an attendant. Drivers needed exact change. Since I usually don’t carry cash I worry that I’ll end up on a toll road and not have any money. Then what will happen? Will I get a ticket? Will I call the police and explain my humiliating situation? Will I just wait for a care to arrive and beg for change?

Eventually, our road of life will come to an end and we will reach a final tollbooth—eternity. This eternal tollbooth may be intimidating to people. Will they have enough loose change to pay the toll? Will they have enough good works to pay the toll? Our goodness cannot pay the tollbooth of eternity.

In Luther’s explanation of the 2nd Article of the Apostles Creed, we read about how Jesus Christ paid the cost of this toll. “I believe that Jesus Christ, true God, begotten of the Father form eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary is my Lord, who has redeemed me, a lost and condemned person, purchased and won me from all sins, from death, and from the power of the devil; not with gold or silver, but with His holy precious blood and with His innocent suffering and earth, that I may be His own and live under Him in His kingdom and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, just as He is risen from the dead, lives and reigns to all eternity. This is most certainly true.”

Jesus Christ paid the toll for us. His death and resurrection paid the price and guarantees us eternal life! Let us rejoice in Him and because of Him.

--Ingrid Johnson, Minister of Youth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter