Monday, March 13, 2006

Parish Theme- March

On the Road Again...The Journey in Jesus

March-Roadblock

Luke 23 records the story of Simon of Cyrene, who was “volunteered” to carry Jesus’ cross on the road to Calvary. “As they led [Jesus] away, they seized Simon from Cyrene, who was on his way in from the country, and put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus.”
I imagine this side trip wasn’t on Simon’s calendar that day. In fact, a second reading indicates he wasn’t even headed the same direction as Jesus: he was headed INTO Jerusalem. He undoubtedly had other plans, but he ran into a roadblock. The Bible doesn’t say how Simon felt about his little side trip, but there’s a good chance he wasn’t pleased. (Of course, he probably also kept his mouth shut, in light of what was happening that day!) The end result, though, is that his name was recorded for all of history and he is remembered as one who served.
I don’t know about you, but my day rarely goes according to my calendar. Usually there’s not just one roadblock, but several! It’s interesting, though, how many of those roadblocks become opportunities to serve…to minister to those in need. And it’s equally as interesting how much more important those roadblocks/service opportunities are than what’s on my calendar.
One of my favorite “servant songs” talks about the journey we are taking together and our opportunities for ministry. At first glance, those opportunities might appear to be roadblocks, but as you read these verses, think about the past year, month, week or even day….when have you been presented such roadblocks and been able to be a servant to your fellow saints? When have your fellow saints been able to serve you?

1. Brother, let me be your servant,Let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I may have the grace,To let you be my servant, too.

2. We are pilgrims on a journey,We are brothers on the road.
We are here to help each other,Walk the mile and bear the load.

3. I will hold the Christlight for you,In the night-time of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you,Speak the peace you long to hear.

4. I will weep when you are weeping,When you laugh I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow,Till we've seen this journey through.

5. When we sing to God in heaven,We shall find such harmony,
Born of all we've known together,Of Christ's love and agony.

6. Brother, let me be your servant,Let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I may have the grace,To let you be my servant, too.

God grant us the perspective to see our roadblocks as “heavenly detours” in our service to the Savior!

-Mary Fink

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter