Tuesday, February 12, 2019

The Bethany Bullet Sermon Message - Week of February 10, 2019


Sermon: “Is That the Best You Can Do”

In the "Big Game" the other week there were plenty of fans screaming, "Is that the best you can do?"

Some might wonder the same about the lineup of servants (Isaiah, Paul, Peter, Andrew, James and John) that the Lord assembled in this week's readings (Isaiah 6:1-8, 1 Corinthians 15:1-10 and Luke 5:1-11).  A ‘foul mouthed friar’, a proclaimer of the faith who was a persecutor of the faithful, a crew called to fish for people that seemed to never be successful at catching fish without divine intervention...Lord, is that the best you can do?

Even those so chosen recognized their own limitations:  "Woe to me I am a man of unclean lips."  "I am unfit and am the least of the apostles."  "Leave 'us' Lord; 'we' are sinful men."  Is this the best that can be done?

What else these 3 accounts of these servants who having been purified from the altar, washed in baptismal water, and found in the presence of the Lamb who takes sins away of the world…is their passion and dedication to the calling.  "Here I am send me, send me!"  "I work harder than the others and am eager to be about the sharing of the good news."  "They left everything and followed Him."

The fair question to the biblical accounts that I have asked, is one that I also ought to ask honestly about my life, "When it comes to serving am I doing the best I can?"
-Pr. Kevin Kritzer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter