Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bethany Bullet - March 17, 2009

If you have NEVER asked God for a sign you are one of the few. We are a sign seeking society. Sometimes the signs we seek are for rather important events in life. “Give me a sign God that I am going to get married or whom I should marry.” When the economy was robust the signs we sought were for the increase of ‘our kingdom’, “Which job offer should I take, which home(s) should I buy?” Now in this economy the signs we seek might be more for hopes of holding on, “Show me that we’ll survive this. Show us if we should downsize, decrease, re-train or re-locate.” When health is at risk but options are available we’ve asked, “Show me if therapy or surgery or the right path for me?” We’ve sought signs.

Those who saw Jesus ‘cleanse the temple’, as recorded in John 2, sought a sign too. They wanted a sign of Jesus’ right to do what he had done. They ultimately asked, “Who made you the boss of us?” They didn’t argue with his accusations, they did however question his right to be the bearer of judgment. Jesus gave them what they requested, “Destroy this temple and I will raise it again in three days.”

When you think about it perhaps their sought after sign was slightly more honest than ours; when we’ve sought signs, aren’t we really asking the same thing?

  • Lord, are you still the boss of us?
  • Are you still in control?
  • Do you still care?
  • Are you paying attention?
  • If so, why is this happening and what are you going to do about it?
  • Are you in control of the chaos of the world, my household, my economy or community?

If you are a sign-seeker, and who isn’t, take comfort in Jesus’ response to those in the temple, for it is the same response He gives to us, “Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it again.” Only difference is for them it was a promise yet to come, for us it is a promise delivered. Christ is Risen!

In His resurrection you have the only sign you need that your God loves you, is in control and reigning. You want a sign from God? You got one! Though it was destroyed on the cross, He is our physically risen and ruling Savior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter